Saturday, September 29, 2018

The Contract

         I remember the first day I walked through the door of our home. It was the day we signed papers, closing the sale. I had not previously seen the house. Having sent my husband to West Virginia with a finely crafted list of homes I had looked at on Zillow. Thankfully, our realtor walked me through the home via FaceTime, however, until that day I had not actually crossed the threshold physically. I walked through the door and was overcome with emotion. My husband had just finished his fellowship, we had survived residency and fellowship, survived our years in the expensive city of Seattle, and this marked a new chapter in our lives. The very first thing I encountered was the magnificent fireplace. 
It rendered me speechless. In that first instant, years of family pictures in front of it crossed my mind. I saw visions of decorations lining the beautifully reclaimed barn wood mantel. I think I probably stood there for two minutes while years of visions of our family sitting around it crossed my mind. Last summer we built a fireplace and outdoor patio. 
We have spent countless nights by the fire, roasting marshmallows for s’mores, visiting with family and friends, taking in the majestic West Virginia sunsets, and making memories that will last me a lifetime.

I was taught in my youth that a home is anywhere you make it. This was our first family home. We have enjoyed amazing family moments here that we will be able to reminisce for years to come. Our family grew by one in this house, and we also gained a furry friend. So much laughter and love has transpired in this home. I walk around it saddened by the fact that we have to say goodbye to it. After five days on the market we got an offer on the house. We signed papers putting it under contract yesterday. Very soon another family will make this their home. I hope they love this house as much as we have. I hope they will create their own family memories here. I look forward to finding another house to make a home for our little family. We are now one step closer to our next great adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment