Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Running For a Reason

           
           As if I do not have enough going on in life, packing, moving states, Graduate school, three little kids, I thought I needed to mix it up and train for another half marathon; and do some fund raising for an organization that is near and dear to my heart. On December 1st I will be toeing the line to the St. Jude half marathon, in Memphis Tennessee. 
            Last year I ran my first full marathon. It was the St. Jude, in Memphis. It was the most amazing and humbling experience of my life. Well you know, minus growing and raising three little humans. St. Jude is a non-profit organization that provides cancer treatment and research to thousands of children, without cost to them or their families. We lived in Memphis for 8 years. Memphians are proud of St. Jude and what they do for childhood cancer. I remember hearing all about St. Jude, however the profoundness of their impact did not take hold until I got a first-hand account from a friend and coworker. She told me her story and her experience with her son going through St. Jude. Her story left a rawness and a desire to do something for them. Besides other things, my husband and I sponsored a couple of family dinners for the children and their families that were staying at Ronald McDonald house. One particular dinner, I asked my Chief (those were the years I was on the fire department) if he could send down some rigs to the dinner for the children to see. I also had met a Captain from Shelby County fire department and he brought over their rescue truck. It was a wonderful experience. Watching them come out to the trucks, sit in the seats and try on our bunker gear tugs at your heart. 
            After we moved from Tennessee, I still wanted to do something. Last year I decided I wanted to train and run a full marathon. But I needed it to be more than just doing it for myself. So, I signed up as what they call a “hero.” These are individuals who set a fundraising goal to raise money to help support St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Last year I set my goal for $1,500. On race day morning I checked my fundraising page and was overcome and speechless to see that I had raised $1,750. It meant so much to me to know so many people believed in my efforts and not only wanted to support me but more than that they wanted to help the children. Every year we see commercials asking for donations for St. Jude and I can assure you the money is well spent. They are doing amazing things for children affected with cancer. And when you look in the eyes of those children it drives you to want to do more. Unfortunately, I have a lot on my plate right now and did not think training for a full marathon was in my reach, however I will be doing the half. To make it worthwhile even more, I am doubling my fundraising efforts this year and set my personal goal at $3,000. Over the next two months I will share stories from my race last year and push hard to reach my fundraising goals this year. I know crossing that 13.1 finish line is nothing compared to the race those children are facing. At the bottom you will find a link to my fundraising page. Anything helps if you can. And if not even sharing my page to give others an opportunity to donate is appreciated. Thank you ❤️


No comments:

Post a Comment